Neil Postman Amusing Ourselves to Death
Study Questions for AOTD CHs 2-4.
We will continue our way in reading and analyzing PART I of AOTD (see Table of Contents for useful overview). As we proceed, try to hold in your mind what each chapter is focused on; it is to also very helpful to select and mark a few pages/passages that you think are central/important to the respective chapters and get at its main points (hint: these will be very helpful to have on hand for upcoming larger assignments).
NOTE:Upon completion of AOTD–Part One, there will follow Class Discussion activities, aiming at sharing thoughts/central ideas throughout the class.
Be sure to review comments on the previous Study Questions Assignment, point deductions will be stricter for this assignment.
- Describe and explain Postman’s three examples of “truth-telling” used to contrast oral communication versus typography.
- Find Postman’s THESIS rephrased on p.27
- Quote and explain three different examples of how typography was important in 18th & 19th century American
- Why does Postman include discussion of the Lincoln-Douglas debate? What is his point?
- What does Postman mean by “expository prose lifted from the page”? What are SEVEN characteristics of the expository form of communication?
- In your own words, what is the MAIN POINT of Ch. 4?