-Follow APA 7 style writing, paper formatting, referencing and correct grammar.
-Read the case study carefully and follow the “Breaking down assignment sheet” to answer questions clearly.
-Follow the marking criteria to make sure everything is done properly.
ASSIGNMENT 2: Case study.
Case study 50% 2,500 words
The case study for this assessment will be uploaded on the class space.
Family violence case study The purpose of this assignment is to develop skills in identifying and analysing the ethical, professional and legal issues in the family violence case study presented below. Process: Students will evaluate counsellor and psychotherapist responsibilities with respect to legal and ethical issues including reference to professional codes of ethics, relevant policy and legislation. Students will critically analyse ethical principles of confidentiality, boundary setting and trust in the therapeutic relationship, and demonstrate respect for client needs, rights and autonomy and awareness of the role of power in the therapeutic relationship.
Marking Criteria –Case Study.
- 1. Effective overview of the case study with identification of the essential elements for discussion
- Discerning evaluation of counsellor and psychotherapist responsibilities with respect to legal and ethical issues in relation to the case study
- Pertinent reference to and inclusion of relevant professional codes of ethics, policies and legislation as applicable to the case study
- Critical analysis of the ethical principles of confidentiality, boundary setting and trust in the therapeutic relationship, demonstrating respect for client needs, rights and autonomy, and awareness of the role of power in the therapeutic relationship
- Discerning examples from the case study selected to support analysis of the case study.
Structure, Presentation and Referencing;
- Introduction, main ideas, argument development and conclusion clearly and logically presented. 2. Relevant research and scholarship literature used appropriately to support discussion 3. Academic writing style is used, including correct spelling, grammar and punctuation 5. In-text referencing and reference list follows APA referencing style (7th ed.) as set out in the APA website: http://www.apastyle.org/
COUN6141 Case Study for Assignment 2
CASE STUDY – TONY
Tony is 45 yrs. old. He has been a builder’s labourer on and off for 30 yrs. There have been
long periods of unemployment and periods of incarceration during his adult years. He left
school at the end of Grade 9. Tony is an Indigenous man originally from a rural Indigenous
Community, 3 hours from the capital. His mother and father were both of the stolen
generation. He is now living in the western suburbs of a capital city. He has been sent to your
service for assessment and also to prepare for your men’s domestic violence intervention
During your first interview, you find out that your new client has been married for 20 yrs. and
has 3 children aged 21 (Angus), 16 (Tony, Jr), and 10 (Sophie). At present he is unemployed.
He has a long-standing problem with methamphetamines and his drug related habits have
been the cause of his incarceration. He has also had issues with ongoing alcohol use. He has
been violent at home and outside of home with others. He is currently on probation and
parole for domestic violence offences against his wife Vanda (he threatened her with a
kitchen knife and then trashed the living room).
He has had 3 DVOs in his marriage, each of which he has breached and been arrested for. He
has been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and he blames his childhood experience in
his own family of origin for this. He has been reported to Child Safety for his harsh discipline
of Sophie, and there has been discussion regarding removing her from the home. The 2 older
children have moved out because of his addictions and abuse and are living with his aunty in
another town. He and his wife and family are in danger of being evicted from their rental
property because they are so far behind in rent
Breaking Down COUN6141 Assignment 2
Note that this assignment is 2500 words. Be sure to allocate the appropriate number of words (based on
the estimated percentage suggested below) to each of the marking criteria categories.
1. Effective overview of the case study with identification of the essential elements for discussion (about 10%-
This section requires you to provide an overview of the case study. For an overview, consider giving the
reader an idea of the topic. Clarify key terms, identify the problem, outline existing issues in the light of
responsibilities and ethical codes and formulate solutions to the question.
2. Discerning evaluation of counsellor and psychotherapist responsibilities with respect to legal and ethical
issues in relation to the case study (about 20%-25%)
Discuss what are the possible legal and ethical issues related to this case study. Link this to the
therapist’s responsibilities. What are the typical responsibilities that therapists have towards their
clients? How are these responsibilities related to the legal and ethical issues?
3. Pertinent reference to and inclusion of relevant professional codes of ethics, policies and legislation as
applicable to the case study (about 10%-15%)
Identify ethical codes, policies or legislation that will have direct relevance to this case study. Don’t just list
down the codes. Each of these codes mentioned needs to be linked to criteria 2.
4. Critical analysis of the ethical principles of confidentiality, boundary setting and trust in the therapeutic
relationship, demonstrating respect for client needs, rights and autonomy, and awareness of the role of
power in the therapeutic relationship (about 30%-35%)
This is the bulk of the paper. Critically analyse the ethical principles relevant to the therapeutic
relationship. When providing critical analysis (CA), please take note that CA usually has three